There is more to your skin what you can see. Hormones, healthy habits, and indulging in life’s excesses all play a role in the health and appearance of your skin. Before you start to worry about what your skin will look like 30 years from now and start investing in different skincare products, you should educate yourself on your skin type. Grab a spot next to the mirror and keep reading to discover more about your skin and how to care for it.
First, take some mental notes about your skin to figure out your skin type:
- Pay attention to how your skin feels on any given day of the week, in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Make a mental note about when it’s dry or oily feeling (or if it feels the same all the time!)
- Take note of how your skin feels 10-15 minutes after you wash your face. Wash with a quality soap, pat dry (don’t rub) and don’t use a moisturizer – this will let your skin’s natural condition shine through.
- Take a close look at the areas on your face that feel tight, dry, or become oily right after cleaning.
After paying attention to your skin, you should be able to pinpoint of which of the following categories your skin falls into. You can also take this short quiz to help you analyze your results.
Combination skin indicates that your skin is oily in the t-zone, while the areas surrounding are not.
If after the cleanse test, your face begins to oil up around the nose and the center of your forehead, but your cheeks, jawline, and hairline are all dry, you have combination skin. This trait is often inherited, and finding the right skincare product can be tricky since the skin has a variety of needs.
What’s a T-Zone?
The t-zone refers to the part of your face made up of the forehead, nose, chin, and the area circling the mouth. Areas in the t-zone have larger pores and a higher amount of oil glands, making these specific areas of your face feel greasy.
Even after giving your face a good scrub, your skin feels dry and can sometimes sting. If you have sensitive skin you are all too familiar with your skin feeling itchy, patchy, and dry.
Patches of irritation are common and highly annoying. Finding a good skin care product is tough as well. Knowing you have sensitive skin will make it easier when the time comes to speak with an esthetician. They will be able to tell you what products will moisturize your skin and prevent skin irritation. Those with sensitive skin may find they have to invest more in finding just the “right” skincare products.
Normal skin feels balanced and even, the picture of perfect health. Your pores are often visibly unnoticeable. Because your pores are small, your skin isn’t as oily in the t-zone. Normal skin feels clean and clear after you wash it without feeling too parched.
Those with a normal skin type might be tempted to save money by not purchasing skincare products, but everyone needs to use a quality sunscreen and moisturizer, as well as cleansing and toning products.
Those with oily skin have large pores that easily get clogged. After washing your skin, the oily feeling quickly returns.
It may seem impossible to get rid of the constant shine on your face, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Finding oil free moisturizers and avoiding heavy creams will reduce the shiny look of your skin.
If you are constantly putting on moisturizer to reduce the itchy, cracked feeling of your face, you definitely have dry skin.
Those with dry skin have small pores that feel tight. After you wash your face the skin can feel flaky, even in the t-zone.
Taking Care of Your Skin
With all of the different skin types, it’s no wonder there are so many skincare options available, and why one product works for you, but not your friends. Taking the time to determine your skin type will help you choose products that keep your skin’s healthy glow as you age.
- Use this base powder to customize a mask for your specific skin type — including combination skin with complex t-zones.
- A bar to cleanse and nourish even the most sensitive skins.
- Lips need tender loving care, and Alō Lip Goods can be used as a pocket moisturiser on the go for all skin types!
- Naturally cleanse both dry skin and sensitive skins, and leaves you feeling silky all over.